Blue Island kicks off Christmas season on Saturday, December 2
The highlight will be the Blue Island Light Parade that steps off at 5:30 p.m. It begins at Western Avenue and Union Street, travels south to Grove Street and heads back north on Gregory Street, giving more people an opportunity to view the parade.
After the parade, join Mayor Domingo Vargas at MetroSouth Park to light the Christmas trees. Then, bring the kids over to the Santa House at High Street and Western Avenue to get a photo with Santa and Mrs. Claus until 9 p.m.
Earlier in the day, the Blue Island Public Library will be showing Christmas movies from 1 p.m. to 4 p.m. There will also be a Kringle Mart under the tents in the parking lot located at High and Western from 1 p.m. to 5 p.m. Free train rides and ferris wheel rides are also available for the kids from 1 p.m. to 5 p.m. while you shop.
You can do a little Christmas shopping or get something to eat at the annual Business Open Houses up and down Western Avenue and Olde Western Avenue. There will also be free horse-drawn wagon rides among the historic homes along Greenwood Avenue from 6:30 p.m. to 9 p.m. Pick up is at Metro South Park at York and Western. The Blue Island Public Library will have their annual Open House, lighting their tree and serving refreshments following the parade as well.
Kick off the holiday season with Christmas in Blue Island!
December 2 holiday events in Blue Island:
- 1–4 p.m.—Holiday movies at the Blue Island Public Library, 2433 York St.
- 1–5 p.m.—Kringle Mart at High Street and Western Avenue
- 1–5 p.m.—Free train and ferris wheel rides for kids at High Street and Western Avenue
- 5:30 p.m.—Blue Island Light Parade, Western Avenue and Gregory Street
- Post-parade—Lighting of the Christmas trees at Metro South Park, York Street at Western Avenue; and Blue Island Library open house, 2433 York St.
- 6–9 p.m.—Photos with Santa and Mrs. Claus, High Street at Western Avenue
- 6:30-9 p.m.—Free horse-drawn wagon rides leaving from Metro South Park, York Street at Western Avenue
- All day—Business open houses on Western Avenue and Olde Western Avenue
If you would like to have an entry in the parade, please visit: BlueIsland.org/Parade.