Top Rail Leaders and Shippers Headline Summer Meeting of the Midwest Association of Rail Shippers
CHICAGO—June 21, 2016 (James Street Media Services)—The Midwest Association of Rail Shippers (MARS) has set a strong agenda for its Summer Meeting on July 11–12, 2016. Speakers and presentations will offer innovative ways to pursue growth in challenging times; present an insider’s look at the shipping markets for plastics and metals; and deliver updates on the nuts and bolts of the rail shipping industry.
“Volume vs. Velocity—Managing Change in 2016” is the theme for the 247th meeting at the Grand Geneva Resort in Lake Geneva, Wisconsin.
“Rail shippers need this kind of information as they plan the rest of 2016,” said MARS President Mike Jones. “We already have more than 300 Summer Meeting attendees, and registrations are increasing each week.”
A few highlights from the planned program include:
- Alan Shaw, executive vice president and chief marketing officer, Norfolk Southern, will present the opening keynote. Shaw has overall responsibility for Norfolk Southern’s marketing and sales, industrial development, short line, and real estate activities across the NS network, including international business activity. He is also responsible for the intermodal terminal operations, equipment supply and asset utilization.
- Peter Gilbertson, president and CEO, Anacostia Rail Holdings, will talk about the dynamic environment facing shippers and railroads right now and how to both succeed and grow.
- John Hellmann, president and CEO, Genesee and Wyoming, will discuss his professional experiences in managing change for the 121 regional and short line freight railroads owned and leased by his company.
- Tom Warren, vice president of specialty polymers, INEOS Styrolution America, will present current perspectives on the plastics industry.
- Robert King, sales and marketing manager, Steel Dynamics will talk about the state of the steel industry.
There will also be sessions on: railroad security; economic review; freight car demand and asset health; and a rail/shipper success story featuring Indianapolis intermodal service.
The schedule on Monday, July 11 features the traditional Scholarship Golf Outing and reception. A full-day business meeting will follow on Tuesday, July 12.
Monday and Tuesday, July 11–12, 2016
Grand Geneva Resort
7036 Grand Geneva Way
Lake Geneva, WI 53147
Members $190; Non-members $215
Advance reservations are required for the conference and golf outing.
About The Midwest Association of Rail Shippers
The Midwest Association of Rail Shippers (MARS) is one of five regional North American associations under the North American Rail Shippers (NARS) national organization. Headquartered in the Chicago area, MARS provides an open forum for discussion and resolution of rail transportation issues by bringing railroads, shippers, receivers, and rail supply companies together twice annually for formal meetings in the Chicago area. To review the most recent meeting presentations, and to inquire about MARS membership, please visit the MARS website at www.mwrailshippers.com.
James Street Associates